Do you pass our litmus test?
- like poetry (or at least feel confident reading and analyzing it for imagery, symbolism, and other rhetorical devices)*
- have a score of around 650 in Critical Reading on the SAT
- know what things like hyperbole, metonymy, irony and paradox are
- like (or don’t mind) reading old stuff (like 1700 and 1800’s British stuff and maybe even older)
- feel comfortable answering approximately 60 questions in 60 minutes
- feel ok with words like “hath,” “doth,” and “thou”
- know what a sonnet is
- have a B or better in your AP English Language and Composition class
*the SAT Literature Subject Test is 50% poetry. The other half is prose (fiction and drama).
If you answered YES to half of these questions, let us know if you need help with the other half 🙂 !